Design Help for Static Website Owners!

Ever feel left out because you have a static website and everyone else seems to own a blog?  All the tips, articles and help seem to be directed to bloggers these days.
And that’s really not a huge surprise since most people opt to create blogs now.  They’re quick, easy, dynamic, they foster discussion and you can find hundreds of well-designed themes for free!
I really don’t want to get into a discussion about which is better (blog or static site) because I think it’s all relative.  Obviously blogs are current.  They provide more instant functionality and they’re easier to create, but it doesn’t mean they’re best when it comes to learning the fundamentals of design.
However, when people say blogs are better than static websites, they are usually referring to the ease, functionality and design options — not necessarily financial success and learning/understanding how to design a website.
I think building static websites prior to having a blog is what helped make editing my blog less intimidating.  Since most people start off with blogs today, they aren’t necessarily forced to learn much about the code.
That’s fine if you don’t plan to update your design in a major way, or you find the perfect theme. But it can become a problem if you want to start moving things around, re-designing and positioning elements like AdSense units, banners, etc.
Of course that doesn’t mean all bloggers never become proficient in CSS.  I’m sure many of you reading this now learned a lot about HTML and CSS because of your blog and are quite comfortable changing things up.
But I personally believe it’s easier to make sense of things when you start with a static website.  The code is often cleaner and you can edit, test and preview your design right from your computer without setting up a server like you would for WordPress.
But I digress…
In spite of what people say about static websites, I know a big part of my audience still uses them and I haven’t forgotten about you! :)
I see your comments, read your e-mails and I get your frustrations when it comes to design. So I am putting the finishing touches on a 3-column CSS template that I will be selling very soon, and I promise you it will be the best teaching template you’ve ever seen.
You may remember a few of the free templates I’ve offered from my site and on YouTube over the years.  They are pretty basic and fine for getting started, but they don’t hold a candle to the one I have created from scratch.

Template Features

  • Very clean HTML & CSS code
  • Loads fast
  • Compatible with Firefox, Chrome, Safari and even older versions of IE!
  • W3C Validated
  • Customizable horizontal CSS navigation menus with hover effects
  • SEO Optimized (Content is ABOVE the navigation in the source code unlike most 2 or 3 column CSS templates.)
  • Over 60 original, graphical backgrounds to choose from
  • Over 40 original, custom headers (some with premium, high-res photos)
  • Instructional Video
  • Embedded instructions in the stylesheet and template to help modify the design
  • Guidance with positioning banners, social networking icons and other elements in the header
  • Can be configured to work with Site Build It!
  • Since it’s static, you can edit, test and preview right from your computer before going live
And because there are so many different headers and backgrounds to choose from, you can create hundreds of different designs just from this one template.  (All backgrounds and header designs were created by me in Photoshop, so you’ll have full rights to use them commercially.)
I’ve actually had fun developing the headers and backgrounds and I think those alone will be worth the price of the template.  There will even be photos of people with transparent backgrounds that you can position inside the header if you wish.
If you’ve always wanted to have more control over the design of your site, this is going to be the template for you!  And if you have a blog, it will help you understand how to customize that as well — especially when it comes to positioning elements in your header like AdSense banners, etc.  Even though blogs are dynamic, they still use CSS to govern the design.
So why am I telling you all this before launch?  Well, my newsletter subscribers will be getting the template for a deep, discount for a limited time.  So make sure you are on my list!


Details will follow soon. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for providing excellent details here... I like your web page. Thanks very much and keep publishing..... I'm getting excited about your new content.
    Php Web Development Company | Website Design Companies Bangalore

    ReplyDelete